Monday, February 6, 2012

Do Watchu Gotta Do.

When I first applied to college, going to an HBCU was not on my list of desired schools to go to. My decision was based off of things I had heard and seen about HBCU's. I wanted to come to school to actually learn being that I do have to pay for it so I was going to go to a predominately white school to stay focused. I don't know why on earth I thought that just because a school was predominately white that there wouldn't be a bunch of partying and normal college stuff going on. Shame on me for making an assumption.

The reason I applied for Claflin was because my guidance couslelor was telling me about their Honors college program and he wanted me to apply being that I have been taking Honors classes my entire life. He saw that it would be a great opportunity for me, so I went ahead and put in the application. At the time, I had my heart set on either attending USC Columbia, Savannah State University, or Lander University. My mother was not agreeing with my decision to attend one of then universities because she didn't want me to have to take out a bunch of lines and she wasn't really feeling that Parent PLUS Loan either.

I got my acceptance letter from Claflin along with a $5000 a year Academic Incentive. I ignored the offer and tossed Claflin to the bottom of my desired college list. Time progressed and the schools I wanted to attend just wasn't offering the money that I needed nor where they accepting scholarships that I had already had. I became discouraged and was thinking about just staying home and attending a technical college just to be getting some sort of education.

 Halfway through the summer, I had a moment to myself to think and it hit me that I need to make the best of my college experience and I won't be able to do it at home. Lucky for me, I had already done the FAFSA for all 8 colleges I got accepted to so all I had to do was sit down and calculate the total amount of money I would need. Once this was completed, I saw that Claflin was where the money was at so I made a phone call to discuss information about the major I wanted to take up and whatever I needed to do to be enrolled in the fall semester. A week later, I was here at early registration getting my classes together, money in my hand to pay my fees so I would finally become an official college student.

Over the next few weeks I did everything I needed to do to be ready to start my college career. Went shopping for my dorm room, looked up book prices, hung out with my friends, the whole nine. On move in day, I was really anxious and you could tell because my patience was extremely low the whole day. I started spazzing and getting angry very easily. My mother seemed to be making me the most anxious because she kept talking, asking questions, and just being in my way. Out of anger, I told her to leave and just let me finish the day out by myself. I think most of the anger came from her not being supportive of my decision. She wanted me to stay home, work, and go to school there. I REFUSED to do that so she was just no help in the entire getting ready for college process. I've been on my own, making my own decisions, doing my own thing every since. She had to realize that her little girl was growing up. I'm sure she's happy that she let me make my own decisions. I'm bringing home all A's & B's, class officer position, and involved in many organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment